International IDEA-CEU Summer Course on Constitution-building in Africa
CEU Department of Legal Studies is proud to announce this year's summer course on Constitution-building in Africa, between June 30 and July 11, 2014, offered in the CEU SUN framework, together with International IDEA. Course website: http://www.summer.ceu.hu/constitution-2014
Similarly to the previous year, the course will address complex societal, political and legal problems in constitution-building in Africa from an interdisciplinary perspective, informed by our faculty's and participants' field experience.
Issues to be explored:
- The general question of constitutionalism in Africa,
- The merits and risks of constitutional borrowing,
- The role of external / international influence in constitution building,
- Practical aspects and challenges of constitutional design and implementation in practical working groups
Faculty for 2014:
- Yash Pal Ghai (fmr Chair of the Commission on the Review of the Constitution of Kenya and Fiji Constitutional Commission)
- Christina Murray ( fmr member of Kenya’s Committee of Experts on the Constitution)
- Jill Cottrell, (Former Adviser to the East Timor and Nepal Constitution building processes)
- Tom Ginsburg (Law School, University of Chicago, USA)
- Babacar Kante (University Gaston Berger, St. Louis, Senegal, Former Vice President of the Constitutional Court of Senegal)
- H. Kwasi Prempeh (Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, USA )
- Renata Uitz, (Central European University, Course Director)
- Markus Böckenförde (Centre for Global cooperation Research and University of Giessen/CEU, Course Director)
- Gedeon Hessebon(CEU, Course Manager)
Last year's course brought together 28 participants, most of whom are based in Africa and working for various international and local non-governmental organizations involved in constitution building process; as well as doctoral students and post doc fellows with a research interest in constitution building in Africa.
Participants from last year's course shared their experiences in this short film: http://www.summer.ceu.hu/node/921.
Course directors are inviting applications by February 28, 2014.
Please visit the course website for further information on how to apply.
- Daniel E. Agbiboa: Boko Haram, Sharia Law and the Nigerian Constitution: An Unholy Alliance?
- Chika Charles Aniekwe: Regional Organisations and the Enforcement of Constitutionalism: Reflections on the Implementation of Chapter 8 of the African Charter on Democracy Elections and Governance (ACDEG)