Issue 4, September 2013
You are receiving this email because of your interest in constitutional reform issues and/or membership of International IDEA’s Constitution building thematic website ConstitutionNet.Org. It provides you with an update on all new content – news, analyses, events, new resources, etc. - created within the network over the last month.
To access the content, click on any of the links below or visit www.ConstitutionNet.Org
Voices from the field: Fiji’s half-finished transition and Egypt’s constitutional quagmire
- Is Fiji’s new Constitution that imperfect? Joni Madraiwiwi, Fiji’s former Vice President (2005-6), argues that while country’s new Constitution is not perfect, it provides a foundation to build upon. Full article.
- What do Egyptians really want? Hesham Nasr, Egyptian Judge, reflects on this question as country embarks on writing second Constitution within two years. Full article.
Want to be a ConstitutionNet Voice from the field? Contact us!
In the media this month
- Egypt’s Constitutional gang of 50
- Why consensus is key: lessons for Libya
- Egypt’s Constitutional debates: the problems ahead
- Tanzania — Battle heats up over constitutional review bill
- Zambia — Final draft constitution to be ready by October
- Nepal — CPN conditions participation in elections on Chief Justice’s resignation
- Myanmar — Suu Kyi says polls ‘cannot be fair’ without revised constitution
- East Africa Community to draft constitution for political federation
- Google Ideas launches Constitute, a website to read, search and compare world’s constitutions
Country constitutional profiles
Visit our full country profiles
Latest library documents
- Tanzania Constitutional Review Act (2012)
- From a political to a developmental constitution: report of the Constitutional Review Commission of Ghana (2011)
- Comprehensive analysis of the 2013 Fiji Constitution
- A comparative study of scientific themes for constitution building
Jobs and opportunities
Events (recent and upcoming)
- Inter-regional Workshop on Regional Organizations, Rule of Law and Constitutional Governance, 19 October 2013
- Fifth Asian Constitutional Law Forum, 18-20 October
- Conference on Minorities and Marginalized Groups, 28-29 October
International IDEA welcomes Dr.William Elliot Blumer, formerly of the Scottish Constitutional Commission as its newest staff member.
New members on ConstitutionNet
- Michaela Ledesma (Interpeace)
- Noha Ibrahim (UNDP)
- Felix Anselm van Lier (Oxford University)
- Mokdad Altaee (IFES)
- Fatima Diallo (ANCL)
- George Anderson (Centre for Constitutional Transitions)
ConstitutionNet on the move!
In a series of assessments earlier this year many of our users requested more convenient ways to access resources on ConstitutionNet, both on the site and through Social Media. Responding to this we are now pleased to announce new initiatives and improvements, and invite you to:
- Check our new homepage with an overview of all the latest updates
- Follow and discuss with us on Twitter
- Like us on Facebook and stay informed about new content